Friday, February 4, 2011

A shower? Really...?!

They say that hindsight is 20/20 and, in this case, it was.  I'm sure you've all heard reports and saw the news about the horrible storm that ripped through the mid to northeast part of the United States.  Well, living in southern Indiana, we tend to get more of the ice and freezing rain rather than the snow.  After experiencing such ice that blankets the entire area, I without a doubt prefer the snow I used to get in Michigan. Well as this storm approached I kept a watchful eye on the storm, knowing full well that if something happened it was me and only me here to take care of things; poor Greg was in Florida.

As I left work Tuesday evening I thought to myself, "well this isn't too bad."  It was just a light rain and wasn't freezing.  However, 20 minutes up the road, I was in hell.  Ice completely covered the roads and tree limbs were shattered all over the place.  When I got home I knew that there was a good chance that my house would lose power, especially considered that the city 30 miles north of me was completely shut down.  My first thought was to take a shower because if I lost power in the night, I may not be able to take one in the morning...  Really...Really!?  A shower!?  Who thinks like that?!  Needless to say about 15 minutes later, with soap in my hair, the lights go off.  So I'm in the bathroom, with no window, feeling around for my iphone so I could use my handy flashlight application to get me through.  Then it dawned on me.  No electricity=no water or heat and soon it would be pitch black outside!  I raced to finish my shower before the tank ran out of water and scurried to pack an overnight bag.  Not sure where I was going, but I knew I couldn't stay in a freezing house.  Feeling blindly through the house I found our Coleman Lantern which enabled me to at least finish packing.

About an hour later, and after much debate, I ventured back on the roads to head to my friends house near my place of work, and of course the roads 15 minutes south of my house were FINE!  The difference in weather was night and day.  When I arrived she had made dinner and baked brownies to curb the pregnancy cravings, yay me!

Now, moral of the story.  I have realized that you DON'T take a shower if you think there is a chance of losing power.  There are more important things to consider like food, shelter, and water.  Needless to say, I will definitely be setting up an emergency plan well in advance and be prepared for any other storms that decide to head my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment