Thursday, January 27, 2011

Easy Stir-Fry w/edits

I make this quick and easy stir-fry at least once a week.  The great thing about it is that you can change it up for whatever you're in the mood for by switching out the meat, veggies, and sauces.  I usually use boneless skinless chicken breast but it's great with beef or pork too.  You could also make it vegetarian with tofu.  For the vegetables I buy frozen bags of stir-fry vegetables in different varieties and change it up depending on my mood. Greg and I also love water chestnuts so we always add an extra can of those for some more crunch.  You can modify the sauce by using a combination of sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, terriyaki sauce, or peanut sauce, to name a few.  My favorite is sweet chili sauce and soy so that's how I'll show it in the recipe.

A great tip to make this recipe even faster is buying your boneless skinless chicken breasts in bulk and then cutting them up into thin 1 1/2 inch strips and freezing them individually, two breasts per package, so all you have to do is pull out a pack of meat cut up the night before to thaw.  It's a lot less messy that way too.  I usually do this task on Sunday.

Ingredients
1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
1-2 T oil (sesame adds great flavor but any oil will work)
dash of S&P
1 bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables
1 can of sliced water  chestnuts
1-2 T soy sauce
2-3 T sweet chili sauce (depending on how spicy you like it)
1 T flour
1/2-1 Cup water or chicken broth (depending on how saucy you like it)

Serve with 6 servings of brown rice (I like minute rice because if you start it when you start the recipe they finish almost simultaneously)

Directions
Stir fry the chicken in oil until juices run clear. Add S&P.  Add the whole bag of frozen veggies and water chestnuts and cook 5-7 minutes until veggies are tender.  Add the soy sauce and sweet chili sauce and stir to coat.  Sprinkle flour over top, stir to coat.  Add water and saute until sauce begins to thicken, about 2 minutes more.  Serve over rice.

5 comments:

  1. Too weird - I was just eating stir fry for lunch yesterday and was thinking to myself that stir fry would be so easy to whip up if I knew how to make a quick sauce for it. Good job. PS - I love your new layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the new stir fry recipe. I thought something was missing the first time I made it,and then I made stir fry with edits. It was awesome! I did notice however, that if you don't cook the edits for a long period of time, they tend to be chewy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, yeah i heard about those edit things a while back, they're hard to find but worth the effort ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to know what the edits are. Were you really getting on a bathroom scale to weigh your chicken??? You need to take pictures of that.

    ReplyDelete